Working with diverse moms, I have learnt to source information to benefit all of you on this platform. Here’s an African recipe that I think we all haven’t paid so much attention to with regards to detox and weight loss.
Scent leaf is an amazing leaf with lots of healthy benefits. It’s known by different names -Ocimum gratissimum, basil, or “scent leaf”. Nigerians know it as scent leaf. Scent leaf is a tropical plant species. Popularly known as efirin by the Yorubas, nchanwu by the Igbos and daidoya by northerners, the leaf, which is highly nutritional, is quite common in Nigeria. The leaf contains various nutrients and minerals which confer numerous health benefits on the plant.
Over the years, we have learnt to overlook it. Before I discuss this detox recipe, here are some of the health benefits.
- Gut HEALTH– scent leaf has been known to help with stomach aches, diarrhea and vomiting.
- Digestive HEALTH– It’s an amazing relief for bloating. Yes! Bloating, if you find that you get bloated a lot, this may be a good way to reduce the excess gas, as it helps with bowel evacuation.
- Lower Blood Sugar– it helps to prevent damage to the pancreas and also it has an ability to lower blood sugar levels. It is quite good for those suffering from diabetes.
- Cure for Malaria: If you want to make use of scent leaves to cure malaria, use it to make tea and drink it while it’s warm. Scent leaves contain an effective antipyretic substance to reduce fever and cure malaria.
- Reduce Cholesterol: If you want to reduce the amount of cholesterol that has gathered up in the body, research has shown that regularly taking the scent leave juice will help a lot in doing this.
- It can facilitate milk production: Nursing mothers who have low milk production should include scent leaves in their daily meals in order to stimulate more milk production.
- Good for the eyes and mouth: because it contains high level of vitamin A, scent leaves when it’s consumed regularly can cure a whole lot of eye infections like conjunctivitis prevent night blindness and any other vision problems. Juice extracted from scent leaves can be used as a mouthwash in eliminating bad breath.
Cough Treatment: research shows that if you squeeze the scent leaves to remove juice. Take the extracted liquid and brew it with hot water. After that you can drink it. Drinking extracted Scent leaves water regularly, will reduce your cough gradually.
– Scotch bonnets/ Peppers– Boosts body immunity with the vitamin C content. Sweating while eating Scotch Bonnet shows It increases the body metabolism. When eating Scotch Bonnet the nose starts running, that mucus is bringing virus and bacteria out of the body
– Thyme- has numerous benefits and I will be discussing this subsequently.
-Seasoning – up to you and how you love it.
- Get your ingredients cleaned out
- Get you preferred protein season and steamed
- Add seasoning while steaming
- Add a tsp of turmeric, thyme depending on the quantity you are making
- Blend your tomato and pepper and add
- If you are using dried scent leaf, wait until the stock is is fully ready then you add
- Steam for about 10 mins (if its dried scent leaf)
- If you are using fresh scent leaf, then once your stock is ready, taste if the taste is good enough and consistent. I love mine really spicy. Add your fresh scent leaf and let it settle for just 5 minutes as this has to stay fresh.
Once your soup is ready, dish and enjoy. Soups are quite good if you are looking at losing weight.
I hope you loved this recipe.
Kindly follow my food page and fashion page on
Instagram– @50_amazingmoms and @de_ceemds.
You can join me on Youtube as well- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8x2Ae7teaNE-uoYc6XhNUQ
Feel Free to be part of my community…together we can make it count…
Comment! Like! Share! Follow! You Matter to Me…
For Moms By Moms
I am Dr. Christiana Stephen, a wife, a mom of 4 under 4 year old kids, a photo lover, makeup artist, a wellness coach and a lecturer. Motherhood for me is ongoing, its a period of learning and unlearning. I am passionate about a lot of things but most importantly helping mothers around the world reach their wellness goals comes as top priority. Hence, I have created this community for every woman out there. Feel free to be part of this amazing journey of motherhood and wellness. I will say raising this community is inspired by my experience and learning process. The main essence is to empower moms on the benefits of healthy living as well as the need to create a life work balance.
I am nice so a lot of people say and I believe I am very approachable even when there is a lot to be done. I love teaching. I can teach on a lot of things including time and stress management.