A mom sent me a private email asking what she can take to increase her milk supply and that won’t make her add weight. Oh my! Immediately I saw her email, I remembered when I had my first baby; I had issues with milk supply. It wasn’t a funny state for me, I really wanted to breastfeed. I struggled and struggled until I got tired of trying. And then I gave up.
Subsequently I knew better. Having to breastfeed my second baby for a long time; I got the trick.
There are a number of things you can do to increase your milk supply.
1) Drink plenty of water; mommies you need to stay hydrated all the time. Water doesn’t hurt so keep at it. Apart from the fact that it helps in increasing your milk supply, it is so important to your body. Breast milk is liquid, so lots of water is the first thing I will say. Have a glass of water before and after breastfeeding
2) The second trick I found: I can link this back to when my aunty in Nigeria will say ‘drink pap’ pap?. YES, but that seem to be a very boring meal to me and I was concerned about my weight, so I decided to get something that contains a lot of fibre and can still do the work.
Please I don’t want to add weight. HMMM, I will argue heaven and earth. What’s in pap? Its a research I have to do myself.
Meanwhile pap was a no go area for me, so I brought up a new way to avoid pap. Which was ‘OATS’.
OATS? Yes oats, before you scream, oats was my replacement for pap plus all the benefits it gives my body. You can make cereals and smoothies out of them.
According to a research carried out by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, they claim that oats are very healthy and can lower the risk of heart disease, lowers cholesterol and it can also reduce one’s risk of Bowel cancer (colerectal cancer). Report shows that ‘for every additional 10g of fiber in someone’s diet there is a 10% reduction in their risk of developing Bowel cancer (colerectal cancer). Bowel cancer is also called colorectal cancer and includes large bowel cancer (colon cancer) and cancer of the back passage (rectal cancer or cancer of the rectum (UK Cancer Research)
3) Juice: drink lots of juice but I strongly suggest home made juice, If you have anyone who is around to help you nurse your baby, when they suggest pap ask them to make juice for you. This helps prevent dehydration.
4) Almonds are really good too plus all the Omega-3 and Vitamin E. While Omega-3 aids by boosting hormones to help produce milk, vitamin E aids in healing itching caused by stretch mark
5) Keep at it: don’t be like me, I was so frustrated that I stopped by the time the baby was 3 months and that didn’t make me happy. The more you persist, the more the hormones will know that your baby is starving.
6) Avoid unnecessary worry: mommies worry a lot. We worry about things we can change and they ones we can’t. We worry about how the baby’s future will be. That’s the part that beats me, why worry about a baby’s future when you can’t predict yours.
7) Eating so much because you want your baby to be fat, we have this mindset that fat babies are healthy babies. As a result we eat and eat and get fat ourselves. Once that baby starts teething, crawling or learning to walk, they loose that weight and you are left behind. Beware!! Obesity is real. Aim for a healthy you and a healthy baby. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, it will benefit you and your baby.
8) Stay far from post natal depression: some people don’t even know they are suffering from it. It’s a topic I will talk about soon. If you find yourself depressed talk to someone, a lot of moms are loosing their minds because of this. If you aren’t sure of who to talk to; we are here for you. Send us an email and we will support you through this.
- Oats meal,
- 1 Banana,
- Flax seeds
- 2 tspn honey
- 1 tspn peanut butter
- half tspn cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
blend all together and enjoy
If you have something you would like me to talk about. Send an email to email@example.com.
Enjoy your day while at it don’t fail to drop your comments; your comments are so important, l need to hear what you have in mind. If you like this just click.
kindly follow for more nutritional stories