Its amazing to know that we have a lot that can benefit our goals of staying healthy. Today there’s a bit of interest in Kiwi. Kiwi is a fruit like every other fruit but research shows that it is a super food packed with lots of nutrient but low in calories. These nutrients are very beneficial to our bodies. Some of the health benefits include.
1) Kiwi helps manage blood pressure: it is very high in potassium which helps balance our electrolytes by counteracting the effects of sodium
2) Helps Your Digestion with Enzymes: it contains actinidain, a protein-dissolving enzyme that can help digest a meal much like the papain in papaya or bromelain in pineapple.
3) Boosts Immunity: because it is quite high in vitamin C along with some other antioxidant compounds, it has been proven that it can boost immune system.
4) Protects from DNA Damage: according to a study by Collins, Horska and Hotten showed that the unique combination of antioxidants in kiwi helps protect the cell DNA from oxidative damage. Some experts conclude this can help prevent cancer.
5) It helps fight heart disease: studies show that if you consume 2 to 3 kiwis a day, it reduces the potential of blood clotting bu 18% and reduces triglycerides by 15%. A lot of people take aspirin to reduce blood clotting but this isn’t without side effects. Studies show that kiwis has the same anti clotting benefits with no side effects, just additional health benefits
6) Good for Weight Loss: Considering that they are low in glycemic index and high fiber content means it will not create a strong insulin rush like other fruit with high sugar contents—so the body will not respond by storing fat.
7) Improves Digestive Health: they are a great source of fiber. This prevents constipation and other intestinal problems.
8) Helps Clean Out Toxins
9) Suitable For Diabetics: Kiwi is in the ‘low’ category for glycemic index, meaning it does not raise your blood sugar quickly. It has a glycemic load of 4 which means it is safe for diabetics.
10) Protects Against Macular Degeneration and Other Eye Problems: Macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss in older adults. A study on over 110,000 men and women showed that eating 3 or more serving of fruit per day decreased macular degeneration by 36 percent. This is thought to be associated with the kiwi’s high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin—both of which are natural chemicals found in the human eye. Although both fruits and vegetables were studied, this same effect was not shown for vegetables.
11.) Great for the Skin: they are a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant known to protect skin from degeneration (Care2.com)
Amount Per 100 grams
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.5 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 3 mg 0%
Potassium 312 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5%
Dietary fiber 3 g 12%
Sugar 9 g
Protein 1.1 g 2%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 154%
Calcium 3% Iron 1%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 4%
How to use them
Since it is really good for skin, you can eat the raw
Make juice with them
make smoothies with them
for your smoothie
a handful of spinach.
Follow us for more nutritional facts
Are you looking for a personal weight loss coach, Kindly contact us @50amazingmoms.com. FOLLOW US FOR MORE NUTRITIONAL FACTS