‘it’s a day out with carrot, so let’s look at some of the benefits of this root veggie.
1) Anti-Cancer benefits
A study shown that smokers who consumed carrots stood a better chance of not developing lung cancer compared to the ones who did not. It has also been revealed that variety of dietary carotenoids have anti-cancer benefits due to their antioxidant power in reducing free radicals in the body.
One study found that current smokers who did not consume carrots had three times the risk of developing lung cancer compared with those who ate carrots more than once a week. Beta-carotene consumption has been shown to have an inverse association with the development of colon cancer in the Japanese population (Mnt.com)
A STUDY conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health’s reveal that veggies rich in beta-carotene can play a protective role against prostrate cancer in men
2) Leukemia: In 2011, a study showed that Carrot juice extract was shown to kill leukemia cells and inhibit their progression.
3) Eye Health: based on a study by Duke ophthalmologist Jill Koury, MD, vitamin A deficiency causes the outer segments of the eye’s photoreceptors to deteriorate, damaging normal vision. Correcting vitamin A deficiencies with foods high in beta-carotene will restore vision. (Mnt.com)
4) Another benefit of carrot is the regulation of blood sugar as well as delaying the effects of aging.
5) Carrots also improve immune system
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.2 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 69 mg 2%
Potassium 320 mg 9%
Total Carbohydrate 10 g 3%
Dietary fiber 2.8 g 11%
Sugar 4.7 g
Protein 0.9 g 1%
Vitamin A 334% Vitamin C 9%
Calcium 3% Iron 1%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 3%
How to Make use of carrots
1) Eat raw
2) make salads
3) Blend as juice
4) use for smoothies
5) use as finger foods for babies- note this has to be boiled then keep to cool for babies who are 6months.
Join Us @50amazingmoms.com for more health and beauty tips.
I am Dr. Christiana Stephen, a wife, a mom of 4 under 4 year old kids, a photo lover, makeup artist, a wellness coach and a lecturer. Motherhood for me is ongoing, its a period of learning and unlearning. I am passionate about a lot of things but most importantly helping mothers around the work reach their wellness goals comes as top priority. Hence, I have created this community for every woman out there. Feel free to be part of this amazing journey of motherhood and wellness. I will say raising this community is inspired by my experience and learning process. The main essence is to empower moms on the benefits of healthy living as well as the need to create a life work balance.
I am nice so a lot of people say and I believe I am very approachable even when there is a lot to be done. I love teaching. I can teach on a lot of things including time and stress management.