I wrote about the Chia seeds water to eliminate accumulated fat. Today, I want to discuss the health benefits of Chia seeds. It’s always good to know what you eat. When it comes to knowledge, it isn’t a waste. This article is coined from several research.
What are Chia Seeds and Where do they Originate From?
Chia seeds are the tiny black seeds from the Salvia hispanica plant, a member of the mint family which comes from Central and South America. Legend has it that the ancient Aztecs and Mayans used chia seeds as a source of energy. The word ‘Chia’ is the ancient Mayan word for ‘strength’.
A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
- They also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.
Other Benefits Include:
- Chia seeds contain high quality protein: by weight, they’re about 14% protein, which is very high compared to most plants. They also have a good balance of essential amino acids, so your body should be able to make use of their protein content. Protein has various health benefits and is by far the most weight loss friendly dietary nutrient. A high protein intake lowers appetite and has been shown to reduce obsessive thoughts about food by 60% and the desire for night time snacking by 50% (healthline.com). For people who eat little or no animal protein, chia seeds are a good protein source.
- Digestion and Detox: studies show that a diet with adequate fiber prevents constipation and promotes regularity for a healthy digestive tract. Regular bowel movement are crucial for a daily excretion of toxins through the bile and stool (medicalnewstoday.com)
- The high fiber and protein content may help you lose weight: many health researchers believe that this super food can help you lose weight. Its soluble fiber absorbs large amounts of water and expands in your stomach, which should increase fullness and slow the absorption of food. Several studies have examined the soluble fiber glucomannan, which works in a similar way, showing that it can lead to weight loss. Additionally, the protein in chia could help reduce appetite and food intake. A study found that eating chia seeds for breakfast increased satiety and reduced food intake in the short-term. Though adding chia seeds to your diet is unlikely to cause weight loss on its own, many experts believe they can be a useful addition to a weight loss diet. A weight loss diet is about more than just single foods. The entire diet counts, as well as other lifestyle behaviors like sleep and exercise.W hen combined with a real-food based diet and a healthy lifestyle, it may help promote weight loss
- Chia seeds may limit your risk of heart disease: Given that chia seeds are high in fiber, protein and omega-3s, they may reduce your risk of heart disease.
According to medicalnewstoday.com Chia seeds can absorb up to 27 times their weight in water. One man with a history of swallowing problems developed an esophageal obstruction after he ate a tablespoon of dry chia seeds and then tried to wash them down with a glass of water. The seeds formed a thick gel in his esophagus that he was unable to swallow without medical treatment. This was a rare case, but it highlights the importance of mixing chia seeds into another food or liquid before consuming, especially for people with a history of swallowing problems. Small children should not be given chia seeds.
To prevent disease and achieve good health, it is better to eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods, rather than concentrating on individual foods.
I hope you loved this article.
Kindly follow my food page and fashion page on
Instagram– @50_amazingmoms and @de_ceemds.
You can join me on Youtube as well- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8x2Ae7teaNE-uoYc6XhNUQ
Feel Free to be part of my community…together we can make it count…
Comment! Like! Share! Follow! You Matter to Me…
For Moms By Moms
I am Dr. Christiana Stephen, a wife, a mom of 4 under 4 year old kids, a photo lover, makeup artist, a wellness coach and a lecturer. Motherhood for me is ongoing, its a period of learning and unlearning. I am passionate about a lot of things but most importantly helping mothers around the world reach their wellness goals comes as top priority. Hence, I have created this community for every woman out there. Feel free to be part of this amazing journey of motherhood and wellness. I will say raising this community is inspired by my experience and learning process. The main essence is to empower moms on the benefits of healthy living as well as the need to create a life work balance.
I am nice so a lot of people say and I believe I am very approachable even when there is a lot to be done. I love teaching. I can teach on a lot of things including time and stress management.